Still working through that whipping cream, I found this delicious recipe for creamy pasta and chicken with a little kick borrowed from cajun spices. Another one to add to the rotation this recipe was so quick and easy. The sauce cooked up while the noodles cooked lending itself to an easy weeknight meal!
2 boneless chicken breasts sliced thin and cut in half
1 lb penne pasta
2 tsp cajun seasoning
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cup whipping cream
10 oz diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat, add chicken, season with cajun seasoning. Saute chicken until no longer pink 5-7 minutes.
2. Add onion and garlic, cook another 2-3 minutes. Add cream tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and heat through.
3. Pour over cooked pasta, sprinkle with parmesan cheese
My boys love to eat white rice and I love preparing sushi rolls at home. As a result, I buy rice in bulk. It keeps well and there are so many things you can do with it from side dishes to main entrees, like jambalaya. Since our cold spell has stuck around a while, I created a big pot of belly warming jambalaya. I used some home-made brauts in place of the sausage and our own canned diced tomatoes. There is just something really amazing sitting down to a meal you prepared using ingredients you harvested!
Hope you enjoy my variation of a southern favorite.
4 tbsp butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 chopped green pepper
2 chicken breasts, 1/2″ chunks
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Creole seasonings
1/2 tsp ground cayenne red pepper
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 lb sausage, chunked (I used a mild braut but usually use a medium sweet italian sausage or andouille)
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups short or long grain white rice
1. In a large pot, melt butter. Add onion, celery and green pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add chicken, garlic and seasonings; cook 2 more minutes. Stir in tomato paste, sausage and cook 2 more minutes.
3. Add tomatoes with juice, broth, rice and heat to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes until liquid is absorbs and rice is tender. Add more water if liquid is absorbed and rice is still crunchy.